Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cape Photo of the Day - Photo #64


"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." --- Louisa May Alcott

This picture was taken out on the Magothy looking back toward the Main Beach and entrance to the Little Magothy. The sailboat was clipping down the coast of the Cape. The sight is not an unusual one in this "Sailing Capital of the World".

I grew up sailing with my Dad and family in San Francisco - the Sailing Capital of the West Coat. There is something invigorating and even spiritual about gliding along on the water under wind power, especially in this day and age of engines, pollution, and technology. It's the source of many fond memories from my childhood.

I have a Cape friend who has just lost her father who taught her the love of sailing when she was growing up. It's something she continues to enjoy as an adult thanks to special times spent with him on the water. I know those memories will comfort her through this storm and that she is possessed of the strength to move forward thanks to a Dad who taught her to "sail her ship".

No comments:

Post a Comment