Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cape Photo of the Day - Photo #15


The other flowering tree that has caught my eye in the last couple of days is the saucer magnolia. These bloomed right on the heels of the redbuds. This one was still a day or two away from its peak, but full of large pink flowers. From Wikipedia, "Magnolia × soulangeana was initially bred by French plantsman Étienne Soulange-Bodin (1774–1846), a retired cavalry officer in Napoleon's army, at his château de Fromont near Paris. He crossed Magnolia denudata with M. liliiflora in 1820, and was impressed with the resulting progeny's first precocious flowering in 1826." 

I am also impressed with its precocious flowering. Next up, the cherry trees! My young weeping cherry is starting to show some pink. Forsythia is also in full color now. I'll try and get a picture of my favorite forsythia in the Cape to share with you.

I tried to find an angle without the power lines but no doing. Then I considered airbrushing them out, but I guess it wouldn't be the Cape without power lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment