Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cape Photo of the Day - Photo #238


I came across this alien invader on the side of my house yesterday. It seemed to be casing the joint - scouting out a new world to colonize. Ah, but never fear, it's just our good friend from the insect world, Mantis religiosa, commonly known as the "praying mantis".  These are some freaky looking bugs, but it's in our interest to keep them around as they feed on other critters that are less desirable in our yards.The closest relatives of mantises are actually termites and cockroaches, neither of which I care to see in my vacinity.

Laika and I were taking some trash out, and the praying mantis swiveled its head back and forth to keep a close eye on our movement. They are fierce predators, and rely on those big eyes, swiveling heads, spiky arms, and quick reflexes to catch their prey - aphids, crickets and even frogs and lizards on occasion. Just in case this one was keen to take on a human or Aussie, I used my zoom to get the closeup and then left our guest to tend to business. But then maybe it is me and Laika who are the guests in its world...

No comments:

Post a Comment