Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cape Photo of the Day - Photo #99


The plum tree up at Goshen Farm is bearing a crazy amount of fruit. They are ripening and falling off the tree like little purple bombs. I tried one yesterday, and they are really sweet and tasty, so I picked some to take home with me (OK, shook the branch and made some fall).

When I cut them open at home, however, I noticed a little worm/larva near the pit of just about every one. A little internet sleuthing informed me that this is probably the work of the curculio weevil. They inject their eggs into the skin of the fruit in the spring, and the larvae make their way toward the pit and develop there.

The plums are lovely to look at, but not really edible with the grubs inside as a special treat. Perhaps we can figure out a way to deter them so we can enjoy this beautiful fruit in the future. Here is another picture of the ones I gathered along with the yellow squash I picked from my garden plot (note to self - take basket instead of tupperwear next time for prettier picture):


No comments:

Post a Comment